Web Design and Development is a one-off project, right? WRONG! This is a mistake that many people make. Because your website is never finished!
Compare it to decorating your house. Every once in a while you add new stuff to your house. A side table, or perhaps a new color paint for the wall. The same story repeats itself in the world of web design. You must take a long-term approach to the design and maintenance of your website. Let’s take a look at why this is really important
The clear and present danger of not ‘owning’ your website
- My uncle made my website and he is the only one with the access
- My web designer is the only one that has access to my website
- This web designer left me with a homegrown CMS (Content Management System)
This is just a short list of common errors. I hear them allllll the time. Very unlucky if you suffer from this problem too! Because if you have zero control over your website, you are in for bad times…
Web Design…why long-term is winning
So what are the dangers of not owning your website? Let’s take a look at several scenarios that we encountered the last couple of years.
- Emails are not reaching you. People that require your service or product are neglected. This costs money and hurts your reputation.
- People think your website is shit. Another variant to the point above. Your website looks so terrible that people refuse to contact you, or make purchases.
- Your website content is outdated. But your uncle, or BUSY web designer, never respond to you. Do you leave your money on the table too when you leave a restaurant?
- I have a new phone number. But your website is featuring your old one. Now you need to change it, but how!? Your uncle, or BUSY web designer, are both still BUSY!
- The website is not protected.
- Your website is not SEO optimized.
Why is this happening!?
- My Web Design Agency charges me a fortune!
We have a client that was once charged with €495 to update 12 plugins in WordPress. That is stealing in the finest form. Updating plugins in WordPress take about minutes and often, DOES NOT REQUIRE manual work! So be aware of dodgy web design agencies that are trying to bleed you dry!
- My website sucks! But eh…it is family
Ok, this is about the saddest thing I have ever heard. Let’s break this down. One of your family members is an expert in web design (made two lame websites ever) and now he is in charge of your new business website. So this inexperienced person is in charge of your digital brand. YOUR BRAND!
I mean, that is just outrageous. About the saddest thing, I have EVER heard. Your business is hurt. You are losing money. But YOUR FAMILY could not care any less. But I guess the fun and jokes on the regular birthday parties make up for all that…
- My website is built with a NONO CMS
Writing is code is probably not your core, or am I wrong? Allow me to spill the beans. YOU DON’T NEED CODING EXPERIENCE TO MAKE SMALL EDITS TO YOUR WEBSITE! But here is the catch. Provided that your website is built with WordPress, and features a modern WordPress theme! With a few hours of CMS training, you will be able to make minor updates to your own website. Such as changing your mobile number, email address, or some pictures perhaps of your latest project.
Get your act together, take the professional road
Don’t comprise on bad quality. Don’t be overcharged. Send your uncle on a holiday and hold possession of your website credentials. Your access details. Get back behind the driver seat. And you will retake control over one of the most vital parts of your business, your website! Your lead generator. The 24/7 salesman. Your online powerhouse that never gets tired of educating your audience (FUTURE CLIENTS!). Thank you for reading our blog. FML Marketing is a Dutch Web Design agency in the Marbella area.
For more Web Design Tips, please check our blog regularly!
Why Free Websites often don’t deliver any value
4 key features of your new website